Technorati is one of the oldest blog directotires around, making it one of the biggest. It has a huge reach and readership and adding your blog to it’s listing can get you new blog readers from all over the world.
Technorati also measures your blogs “authority” which is an interpretation of your blogs reach across the blogspere.
As everything on the net is interconnected, the more people that know about your blog the easier it is for new readers to find you and the easier it is for people to find you the more people you will speak to and so the spiral of authority grows.
Read more about why and how you can claim your Technorati blog here.
The first thing you need to do to claim your blog in Technorati is join and set up a profile
How to set up a Technorati profile
To set up a Technorati profile you will need the following information:
- A username
- A password
- Your blog url
- Your RSS feed url
- Your FB url
- Your Twitter URL
- Your G+ URL
- A bio pic
- A bio
- The URL of three blogs that you know link to your blog
- Got to www.technorati.com and complete the sign up form.
- Activate your account via the email they send and you will go through to the main homepage
- Click on your user name in the top right of the dashboard to get to your account page.
- Fill out as much as you can, remember to use keywords in your bio to make it easy for people to find you when searching for blogs to read.
- Choose three categories
- Find three linking blogs
- Choose up to 18 keywords
- Click “update account”
Once your blog is set up you will be directed back to the dashboard. When you see your blog showing on the dashboard you will be able to “claim” your blog.
How to claim your blog on Technorati
1. Click the green “check claim” button under the thumbnail of your blog. On the next screen you will see the following message:
“Apr 27, 2012. Technorati will need to verify that you are an author of the blog by looking for a unique code. Please put the following short code ABCDEFGHIJKL within a new blog post and publish it. This code must appear in the published post and it must also appear in your corresponding RSS feed once published. Once it is published, use the “Verify Claim Token” button on this page to tell Technorati your blog is ready for Technorati to verify the claim token and proceed to final review.”
2. Go to your blog and publish a post with your claim token number in it.
If you are using Feedburner as your RSS feed you may get a message that Technorati cannot find your claim token. This happened to me, a quick google later and I found this very helpful post about claiming your blog in Technorati when using Feedburner. Just posting the code to your blog doesn’t always work, you may need to write a whole blog post (just like this one here) and put the code at the front of the post. Alternatively you can just cut and paste the code into an existing post.
3. Once it is live come back to the technorati panel and click “verify claim token” button. You will recieve an email to confirm your claim and once your blog has been verified it will go to a final review.
The whole process is pretty simple, even with the faff with Feedburner, as ever Google search was my friend and helped me find the answer.
Do let me know if this has been helpful to you and good luck with claiming your blog in Technorati!